The Australian Geoscience Council
The Australian Geoscience Council (AGC) is the Peak Council of geoscientists in Australia. It represents eight major Australian geoscientific societies with a total membership of over 7000 individuals comprising industry, government and academic professionals in the fields of geology, geophysics, geochemistry, mineral and petroleum exploration, environmental geoscience, hydrogeology and geological hazards.
Our objective is to:
- Provide expert apolitical advice to governments on matters involving the geosciences and their application;
- Promote the development of scientifically sound policies for effective geoscience education and research; and
- Provide the Australian public with a greater appreciation of the economic, environmental and cultural values of the geosciences
34th International Geological Congress - Brisbane 2-10 August, 2012
The Australian Geoscience Council is the proud sponsor and organiser of the upcoming International Geological Congress. The third circular is now available at www.34igc.org
- AGC has released its report AUSTRALIAN GEOSCIENCE TERTIARY EDUCATION PROFILE 2010 . Click here for report in.pdf format. It reviews the state of university geoscience education and training and repeats a survey first conducted in 2007.
- For Geoscience Events in 2011 see News and Events
- AGC has provided its views to ACARA on the Proposed Senior School Curriculum for Earth and Environmental Science. See Letters
- Ongoing publication of geoscience education newsletters focused on school programs in geoscience - GeoEdLink
- Ongoing support for a new initiative the Teacher Earth Science Education Program http://www.tesep.org.au
Details of many of these activities are given under the menu items adjacent