Greater community awareness and understanding of geosciences are highly desirable and the groundwork for this objective can best be achieved at primary and secondary schools. The Australian Geoscience Council therefore supports:
- proactive promotion of geoscience education in primary and secondary schools to help secure the recognition of geology as a fundamental science and to foster an understanding of the role of geoscience in relation to wealth and wellbeing of all Australian
- assistance to primary and secondary teachers/educators to encourage geoscience subjects in schools’ curricula
- provision of conduits for primary and secondary teachers/educators to gain access to appropriate geoscience education resources
- industry initiatives that promote the geosciences in primary and secondary schools
- liaison with kindred organisations in the development of educational resources.