The Australian Geoscience Council (AGC) is the Peak Council of geoscientists in Australia. It represents eight major Australian geoscientific societies with a total membership of over 8000 individuals comprising industry, government and academic professionals in the fields of geology, geophysics, geochemistry, mineral and petroleum exploration, environmental geoscience, hydrogeology and geological hazards.
Our objective is to:
- Provide expert apolitical advice to governments on matters involving the geosciences and their application;
- Promote the development of scientifically sound policies for effective geoscience education and research; and
- Provide the Australian public with a greater appreciation of the economic, environmental and cultural values of the geosciences
Earth Science Week 2016 (9-15 October)
*** Media release: searching for Australia's next generation of hidden mineral deposits ***
Rocks and their riches surround us. This Earth Science Week, snap a picture of a rock near you and share via #OzRockStocktake, our photographic census of Australian geology.
Simple steps to get involved:
- Take a pic of your favourite rock, outcrop, mountain or other geological feature / site
- Post it with the hashtag #OzRockStocktake on Twitter and/or Facebook
- Search for #OzRockStocktake on social media (be sure to select ‘All’ or ‘Live’ tweets or posts)
We encourage everyone to get involved in this ultimate Aussie rock tour and geological census, whether it be posting a photo online or even just visiting the #OzRockStocktake pages to see what’s there.
Read the media release here. Links to radio interviews will be added as they become available.
Other Australian Earth Science Week events can be found here. Let us know if you are running an event that's not listed!
Recent Activities and other Highlights
- In December 2015, AGC provided a grant to the National Rock Garden for the design of an Education Pavillion - read the latest on the design here (page 4).
- Applications for the 2016 round of the 34th International Geological Congress Travel Grant Scheme for Young Australian and New Zealand Geoscientists are now open - deadline 31 October 2016. You can view a list of 2015 Travel Grant recipients here.
- AGC and its member societies are planning for an AGC Convention in Earth Science Week 2018, tentatively themed "Big Ideas in Geoscience" (14-20 October 2018).
- View the latest presentation outlining the activities of the AGC (presented at the 35th International Geological Congress in Capetown, South Africa)
- The July 2016 edition of GeoEdLink - AGC’s Education Newsletter is now available
Other activities and news from the recent past can be accessed here.
- The AGC continues to implement its Strategic Plan for the period 2015-2020.
- Engagement with the UNCOVER Initiative, "Australian Exploration Geoscience Research".
- Support for the National Rock Garden.
- Publication of geoscience education newsletters focused on school programs in geoscience - GeoEdLink
- Support for the Teacher Earth Science Education Program and Earth Science Western Australia.
Details of many of these activities are given under the menu items adjacent.