The Australian Geoscience Council (AGC) is the Peak Council of geoscientists in Australia. It represents eight major Australian geoscientific societies with a total membership of over 7000 individuals comprising industry, government and academic professionals in the fields of geology, geophysics, geochemistry, mineral and petroleum exploration, environmental geoscience, hydrogeology and geological hazards.
Our objective is to:
- Provide expert apolitical advice to governments on matters involving the geosciences and their application;
- Promote the development of scientifically sound policies for effective geoscience education and research; and
- Provide the Australian public with a greater appreciation of the economic, environmental and cultural values of the geosciences
Recent Activities and other Highlights
- The latest edition of GeoEdLink - AGC’s Education Newsletter is now available
- The AGC is currently focussed on implementing its Strategic Plan for the period 2015-2020.
- An update on the inaugural Australian Earth and Environmental Science Olympiad, of which AGC is a sponsor, has recently been published in ASEG's Preview newsletter.
- Access the AGC's report AUSTRALIAN GEOSCIENCE TERTIARY EDUCATION PROFILE 2012 is here. This report provides a review of the state of university geoscience education and training and repeats surveys conducted in 2007 and 2010.
Activities and news from the recent past can be accessed here.
- Engagement with the UNCOVER Initiative, "Searching the Deep Earth: a vision for exploration geoscience in Australia". Links to presentations from the UNCOVER Summit held earlier in 2014 are available here. Related presentations from a 2013 session at the ASEG Conference are also available on YouTube.
- Support for the National Rock Garden. A Master Plan for the Garden can be downloaded here (17 Mb file).
- Publication of geoscience education newsletters focused on school programs in geoscience - GeoEdLink
- Support for the Teacher Earth Science Education Program http://www.tesep.org.au
Details of many of these activities are given under the menu items adjacent.